Let the Cabinet Building Commence!
This is our first time building a kitchen using Cabinet Joint cabinetry, and our first impression is: WOW. The craftsmanship is out of this world! Our second impression has to do with our cabinet color choice, and, again, WOW! We couldn’t be happier and more in love with our soft red, terracotta, not-quite-pink, barely rose color, Sherwin-Williams Reddened Earth. You’ll see in these photos that the color is a true chameleon!
We quickly learned that building these cabinets is different than any other kitchen we have built before. They come mostly disassembled, flat packed and delivered on a pallet. The reason we went with Cabinet Joint instead of another brand we’ve used in the past came down to one thing: inset cabinetry. It was within budget for this style, and placing our order, we felt confident that we had the skills to assemble and install the cabinets ourselves.
While the jury is still out on our confidence, we did successfully complete the build of one cabinet! The biggest difference between, say, IKEA kitchen cabinets and Cabinet Joint is that the latter requires more tools than just a drill/driver. So far, we’ve pulled out wood glue, a mallet, nail gun and driver. Luckily, Cabinet Joint also has an entire section on their website dedicated to building. We are essentially building cabinets in real time, along with their video tutorials.
We’ve barely just begun, but every small step forward feels like a moment worth celebrating!
Follow along with this renovation from the beginning: why we’re renovating the kitchen | a happy surprise | choosing cabinetry | sharing the new kitchen layout | choosing backsplash tile | choosing an eat-in kitchen table (vs. an island) | the mood board | the kitchen is GONE and how we’re making it work | maple flooring is in!
Links From the Week:
Have you watched The Bear? We started and couldn’t stop! It’s a bit heavy-handed with the Chicago theme, but I also laughed until I cried when Richie asked, What kind of a**hole puts ketchup on a hot dog?
My mind is blown by this sunken tub. The whole room, really. I’m obsessed!
Since sharing these baskets with you, many of you have received yours and continue to rave about them! They’re awfully cute, and I can’t wait to display them in our kitchen. (Although I might use the smallest one as a catch all near the front door!) Shop them here.
- Anthropologie: Extra 50% off all sale items
- Article: Save on hundreds of styles through 9/5
- Ballard Designs: 20-70% off sitewide Labor Day sale
- Boutique Rugs: Up to 80% off + 10% off with code LABOR10
- Crate & Barrel: Card members earn 20% back in rewards
- CB2: Up to 50% off outdoor, furniture and accessories
- The Company Store: Up to 40% off Labor Day sale with code LDW22
- Equilibria CBD: 20% off sitewide, stackable with code YELLOWBRICKHOME for an additional 15% off for new & existing customers!
- Everlane: Up to 60% off and 30% off denim Long Weekend Sale
- J. Crew: 30% off + extra 50% off sale with code LNGWKND
- J. Crew Factory: 50% off entire site!
- McGee & Co: Up to 25% off sitewide
- Pottery Barn: Up to 70% off warehouse sale
- Sephora: Free shipping on all orders with code FREESHIP
- Rejuvenation: Up to 75% off warehouse sale
- Urban Outfitters: 50% off home best sellers, and extra 40% off all sale
Have a Relaxing Holiday Weekend!
Do you have any fun plans for this upcoming long weekend? It feels like the city is bursting with positive energy as summer winds down, and there is no shortage of events happening! Our plans include tandem bicycle rides, park picnics, a barbecue with family, morning coffee dates al fresco – and generally spending as much time as possible outdoors. Have a relaxing weekend, friends!