Bigger Risk, Bigger Payoff?
In Stories this week, I talked about taking risks. Specifically, the bigger the risk, the bigger the payoff, right? Scott and I have started the process of choosing interior paint colors(!), and we quickly realized that we had different-ish ideas for what we’d been envisioning all along. While we both know we want to do contrast trim (Jenni and Whitney, above, have been a big source of inspiration!), I had a thought. What if we did a softer, neutral trim color throughout all of Unit 1, but then we do something totally different for the dining room?
The dining room is arguably the heart of Unit 1 – it’s centrally located, full of charm (my hutch!) and can be seen from the living room and kitchen – and isn’t that an opportunity for something a little… unexpected? Some drama?
We want to add a wall paneling treatment to the dining room, similar to our pink bathroom (just… not pink, haha). So while the rest of the home may have greige baseboards and door moldings, what if the dining room paneling (including baseboards, door + window trim and hutch) has something with oomph! Oh, and wallpaper. I’m all about wallpaper above the paneling.
A risk, for sure. But a good one with an even bigger payoff, I think. What do you think? Are you Team Risk?
Other Things This Week:
After going through a free sample in a few days and immediately experiencing withdrawals, I treated myself to a full-sized bottle of this perfume. It’s absolutely dreamy. Happy early Mother’s Day to me!
Nordstrom is having a massive 50% off sale, and I fell down a rabbit hole of home goods. Here are the things that caught my eye:
As the weather (tries) to warm up, we’re turning our attention towards our outdoor gardens and making a mental note of what we’d like to add and what’s not doing so well. We’ve noticed a spike in outdoor DIYs, greenery and planter round-ups, so I’m sharing a few of our favorites below! Click on the image to take you to the full post.
Greenery + Outdoors
And because so many of us are in the do-it-yourself spirit lately, here’s our tried and true list of 53 tools to build your DIY library! We believe in buying quality tools the first time, so we’ve created a 3 stage system to set you up for success – whether you rent or own. (#38 is basically an extension of our right hand, and I can no longer imagine a life without a set of #43. It’s strange how often I’m reaching for them!)
The moment Lucy goes to bed, Scott and I become kids again. Oh, the nostalgia! (Dr. Mario forever.)
Fashion designer Joseph Altuzarra joined forces with Etsy, and my brain exploded. You can see the full collection right here (run!), but I think my favorite items are this dog bed and these candlesticks. (Almost all of the stoneware has completely sold out!)
- Anthropologie: Extra 50% off sale items
- CB2: Up to 30% off outdoor and planters. (I love these, and the price can’t be beat!)
- Crate & Barrel: Up to 40% off outdoor furniture
- Everlane: Choose what you pay, seriously!
- GAP: Up to 75% off everything and 50% off markdowns with promo PERK
- J. Crew: Up to 60% off dressy-ish styles
- J. Crew Factory: Up to 70% off everything!
- Loft: 40% off your purchase + extra 15% off with code XOXO
- Madewell: Extra 50% off sale!
- Pottery Barn: Up to 40% off the Outdoor Event
- Rejuvenation: 20% off select lighting
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off the Spring Black Friday sale
- Sephora: 3 free trial sizes with code MORE4FREE
- Target: Up to 25% off furniture
- Unison Home: 25% of proceeds being donated to Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Wayfair: Up to 70% off home updates for less
- West Elm: Up to 60% off best sellers
- Williams Sonoma: Limited time offers vary
- World Market: 40% off outdoor
Have a great weekend! We’ll be finalizing the Two Flat’s color scheme, because exterior painting begins on Monday. Monday! As in, 3 days from now. As in, oh my gosh, this will be the most drastic change our Two Flat has ever seen. Thank you for all of your input yesterday, love you all!