Psst! We’ve also compiled home essentials for the bathroom, kitchen and home office.
The family room might be, arguably, the most important space in your home. It has to appease not only you, but probably your partner, the kids, your pets, the family-drop-ins, the visits from friends and that time your college roommate needed a quick place to crash. It can be difficult to fit every last thing you need into a room that serves so many purposes, so it was no surprise that many of your requests catered to the family room-slash-entryway-slash-toy-room-slash-where-you-fold-the-laundry!
For that very reason, the family room round-up is a bit of a free-for-all. We’re covering everything from tissue box covers to door hardware, from toy bins to door mats, from land lines too hampers. (You may also notice that #15 slipped its way into this list, even though it’s also on the office list! There’s not many rooms this handy extension plug can’t enhance.) We had fun with this one, so let’s get right to it!
We have items 9, 13 (we have 3, we love them so much!), 15 and 31. The #12 door draft stopper is in our shopping cart for Lucy’s naps, and #24 looks a lot like our entryway shoe credenza that we’re always asked about!
Family Room Essentials
1. storage ottoman | 2. ceramic umbrella stand | 3. dimmable egg nightlight | 4. smart smoke detector | 5. diffuser | 6. tissue box | 7. antiqued claw doorstop | 8. sleek cordless phone | 9. marble and leather doorstop
10. tissue box cover | 11. matte black doorknob | 12. draft stopper/noise reducer | 13. recycled doormat | 14. pop out outlet | 15. (our favorite) extension cord | 16. stone diffuser | 17. retro phone | 18. storage cabinet
19. metal boot tray | 20. leather handle diaper caddy | 21. satin brass doorknob | 22. maritime door stopper | 23. wall-mounted hamper | 24. modern shoe cabinet | 25. slim night light | 26. black umbrella stand | 27. laundry stand
28. long storage bench | 29. aged brass switchplate | 30. herringbone draft stopper | 31. nest smart smoke alarm | 32. hoop umbrella stand | 33. wire + canvas laundry hamper | 34. wood shelf rack | 35. rope laundry basket | 36. black essential oil diffuser
37. woven hamper | 38. white + wood tissue box cover | 39. leather + wood door wedge | 40. storage bookshelf | 41. entryway mirror w/hooks | 42. storage bookcase | 43. large shoe cabinet | 44. upholstered storage bench | 45. woven laundry basket
Thank you for these lists, I love them! The only thing that could make them better is if the links opened up in new tabs in my browser. Currently, it takes a lot of extra time to click back and forth. Thanks in advance for considering this change!
So happy to hear, Kira! We have gone back and forth on that a few times – we’ve also been told the opposite (that people didn’t like all the tabs opening in their windows). It’s good to hear all sides, and we’ll definitely consider it.
From a marketing standpoint, you always want to keep people on your site, so the general rule of thumb for an external source is a new tab. As always, love your finds!
Does your browser have the option to right-click and select “open in new tab”? That’s what I always do so that I can take in the full list then go check out the individual items. :)
Hi Kira! In most browsers if you right click on a link it pulls up a menu that lets you choose “open in new tab/window” as an option; it’s one of my favorite features!
You can also hold down the “ctrl” key on your keyboard when you click the link, and it automatically opens the link as a new tab in your browser window :) I usually just hold that down and click on a bunch of the links, then review the products when I’m done reading YBH’s lovely blog post! Thanks, Kim, for corralling so many wonderful options for your readers!
You guys are the best.????
I love your coffee table! It’s perfect!
The West Elm hamper is amazing, but the price! *shocked* I am keeping my eye out for something similar for less.
I couldn’t not include it, it’s so nifty! Perhaps it could inspire a DIY?