Last year, we began the annual tradition of not only sharing some of our favorite small businesses, but we also asked you to take part in sharing your own unique places to #shopsmall! Small businesses are the heartbeat of Chicago, a city that thrives on the success of local establishments. More than ever, we’ve been stocking up on gift cards from our favorite haunts, a token of support during a tough year. Tip: Check out Westerlies, which is an easy-to-use database that allows you to search by location for brick and mortar shops that feature makers and artisans, You can even filter shops by social impact business practices, such as BIPOC-owned and fair trade!
So today – on this Small Business Saturday! – we really want to spread the love. We’ve handpicked some of our very favorite items from the craftspeople and businesses we return to again and again, like Baby Blue Print, featured in Lucy’s nursery (seen below). I can’t think of a better gift for a mom-to-be than one of these.
What Is Your Small Business?
We would absolutely love for this comment section to become an active conversation! If you’re a small business owner or someone’s biggest fan, please let us know:
- What is the name of your business?
- Where are you located?
- What do you sell?
- A direct link to your shop
Our hope is that you’ll have a bustling Saturday, and may you all find many small businesses that are new and fulfilling for you. Happy gifting!
Small Businesses We Love
1. Unison Home | Chicago, IL: A selection of modern home furnishings designed and curated with a focus on unique pattern and timeless quality. Take 20% off with promo code GIVEMODERN!
2. The Vintage Rug Shop | Oakland, CA: Beautiful vintage rugs (obviously!) as well as textiles, kitchen and bath items. Take 20% off through the weekend with promo code SOTHANKFUL!
3. Sydney Hale Co. | Richmond, VA: Hand poured soy candles and home fragrances, with 10% of all proceeds going back to pet rescue. Ethically produced and packaged.
4. Dropcap Studio | Rexburg, ID: Custom house numbers, logos, signage or anything else you can dream up in a variety of materials and finishes.
5. Baby Blue Print | Vineyard, UT: Archival custom ultrasound art prints. These make a special and unique gift for the parents-to-be!
6. Steel Petal Press | Chicago, IL: Cards and gifts with a sense of humor. We can never leave the store without a little something that makes us smile!
7. Megmade | Chicago, IL: Our pals Meg & Joe give new life to vintage furniture. They also offer up interior design services and have a curated selection of home goods – plus they ship nationwide!
8. Piccolina | New York, NY: A mission-driven lifestyle brand, dedicated to empowering today’s young girls to become tomorrow’s trailblazers and problem solvers.
9. Play | Chicago, IL: Toys, books and gifts, each hand-selected for kids who love to play, explore and have fun!
10. Big City Readers | Chicago, IL: There’s not much that beats a virtual story time with Miss Beth! She also hosts parent workshops, tutoring, and baby, toddler + kid classes. (Gift certificates here, for virtual learning!)
11. HarperIman Dolls | A mother + daughter team dedicated to creating dolls that reinforce to children of color how important they are. They’re sold out this year, but you’ll want to bookmark them (and follow along!) for 2021.
12. Little Peach Fuzz | Chicago, IL: An all-inclusive kids’ shop – a favorite of kids (Lucy!) and adults (us!) – specializing in whimsical curiosities.
13. SustainAble Home Goods | Atlanta, GA: All purchases help to bring dignity and eradicate world poverty by creating sustainable jobs and communities. Create your own holiday gift box for $60!
14. Gaslight Coffee Roasters | Chicago, IL: Coffee created with a focus on seasonality, locality and food conservation. (Our all-time favorite!)
15. At Noon | Madison, WI: Baby + children’s clothing and accessories for the neutral-loving parents. So. Much. Cute.
We encourage you to share a link to your own (or your very favorite) storefront in the comments so that we can shop from you, too!
See all of our gift guides here, or check out these 2019 guides for even more ideas:
Great list, I can’t wait to check all these out. I’m an artist and sell prints of my work on Etsy (mostly plant inspired for my green thumb friends!) You can check them out here:https://www.etsy.com/shop/DaniConyerOther favorite independent artists:Jessica Poundstone https://www.jessicapoundstone.com/order-jessica-poundstone-artKatie Benn https://www.etsy.com/shop/katieleighbennLindsay Stripling https://lindsaystripling.bigcartel.com/
Thank you for sharing!
My sister runs a tiny business: Quilledesigns – handmade quilled paper art. Her work is beautiful (I have her pieces all over my home) and she also is GREAT to work with for custom orders, just ask! Her shop can be found at https://etsy.me/3pB8YoD or you can search quilledesigns on Etsy or Instagram to see her amazing work!
Unshattered! Premium sustainable handbags that end the addiction relapse cycle. 100% of your purchase goes to our mission of employment and job skills training for women in recovery.
Our bags are made from upcycled materials including retired military uniforms, sets from Broadway shows, premium manufacturing scrap and more!
We also do custom bags from your family heirlooms to turn your memories into something beautiful!
What a great list of shops for the home! I know all of these small businesses appreciate your post and opportunity to share. I make and sell hand embroidered hair bows for girls and women. You can shop them here https://handtiedbycaroline.com/
So beautiful, Caroline! What a special touch.
What a great list of small businesses!! We love shopping small. My husband and I are based in Fort Collins, Colorado, and we make unique state maps so you can show your state pride (we also have dozens of countries and some cities too!). We offer prints, coffee mugs, and hats that can be customized to include your city. Check us out: http://www.MapMyState.com
How cool, thanks, Ashley!
Love the list! I run Snug Chicago right here in the Chicago Logan Square neighborhood. We make home decor pieces and much more :)
Oooh I’ll have to check it out, thank you for sharing!
We’re a small non-profit organization called the GEMS Development Foundation. Check out goatsfortheoldgoat.com
You can purchase a goat for $75 for a family in South Sudan. It provides nutritious milk that can be consumed or sold at the market. Owning a goat helps dramatically reduce hunger and poverty in this region.
Every purchase comes with a certificate and a picture of your goat being given to the family in South Sudan! Its the gift that keeps on giving!
Love all the small biz love! Definitely bookmarking to come back to in the next week to make sure I get my orders in on time! I’m an artist (Allison’s Illustrations) and sell prints, custom pet and house portraits, and orgionals. All custom orders are 30% off this weekend! https://www.allisonsillustratedlife.com/
That’s a great point – the sooner you can place an order with a small biz, the better!
Thanks for this opportunity to shamelessly plug my new Etsy shop! ReclaimedByLindsay https://etsy.me/36EwhXv is all about reclaimed barn wood, pallets, and furniture- I make functional string art (key hooks, leash hooks), wine racks, signs/wall art, and ornaments. I also refinish and refurbish furniture. I’m based in Maine, but will ship nationwide.
Can’t wait to go through all of these! Thank you for sharing small shops! I own a small home decor shop called Maison Collective. I’m located in Texas. You can find my shop here: https://shop-maisoncollective.com/
HENRY+ELLE – @henry.ellehttps://etsy.me/2RFVeaO
We make custom peg rails and shelves ♥️ Thank you so much for your strong support of small/local businesses!
Ooh, I love, I love!
Love this list! I own State of Play Kids https://stateofplaykids.com/ We love spotting YBH in our Chicago crew!! We’re two Chicagoland moms and currently have a Pop-up shop at Burr Ridge Village Center!
We loooooove our Chicago sweatshirts!
This is such a great list! Thanks for the chance to share. I’m based in Evanston just outside of Chicago and I create custom illustrations and paint silhouette portraits. You can see my work on instagram search @editholiviadesigns. This is my website https://editholiviadesignshop.bigcartel.com/
or on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/shop/EdithOliviaDesigns?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=893548490
Love this list, yay for shop small! My sister-in-law’s pillow covers are gorgeous… Danielle Oakey Shop
Love her pillows!!
Hi there!! I am Sofia, an entrepreneur that created an online shop, along with my youngest sister. Our shop is an homage to our grandfather and a collection of design icons and vintage finds. You never know what can appear online :) We divide our stock between Porto, Portugal and Den Haag, The Netherlands and we ship worldwide. :)
Amazing, thank you for sharing!
And the basic and most important, the link for the store, which i totally forgot ????♀️: http://www.luisviajante.com ????
I love Neybir in Chicago for home goods, gifts and indoor plants. Kim, the owner, has an amazing collection! http://neybir.com/
Whoa, I need to check that out
MaeveMade based in Pittsburgh, PA! I make handmade paper star ornaments, tree toppers, wreaths, and other celestial-inspired decor based on a century-old Polish star folk art tradition. My stars are perfect for holiday decor and many feature colors and patterns that can be displayed year-round! https://www.etsy.com/shop/maevemadeshop/There’s a fantastic annual shopping event in Pittsburgh called Handmade Arcade that was converted to a virtual marketplace for the first time in 2020! I’m participating along with many other local artists and makers — my page is under the Paper Goods section. The event runs through Sunday, 12/6 at https://www.handmadearcade.org Thanks Kim for all the small business support and taking the time to put together these recommendations! Those Sydney Hale candles are so good and I love that they support animal rescue!
So pretty, Maeve! ????????
I love finding fellow small businesses to shop from and support, thank you so much for this list!
My name is Erin and my shop is Mayhewn. I sell handmade modern concrete home goods, like candle holders, wall hooks, jewelry dishes, and bookends. I work out of a tiny corner of my apartment in the Boston area : )
Thank you for sharing! The bookends are ????
Thanks for the opportunity! I’m a potter and textile designer in PA. committed to the idea that a beautiful presentation makes everything taste better. A fun antidote for Zoom Fatigue plus pottery and home textiles can be found if you visit me at:
Hello! Rethreaded is an excellent small business with an amazing mission. They provide employment for women who have gotten out of the life of human trafficking. They make beautiful artisan gifts and accessories. Rethreaded.com