We’re thisclose to spring (can you feel it?), but in the meantime, we’re doing all we can to stay cozy and warm. Today, we’re sharing our favorite candles to burn all season long while we countdown to sunnier days.
There’s never not a candle burning while we’re home. In the evenings while we play with Lucy? Yes. During the day while we working from our desk? Yup. When we have company and when we don’t? Always. It’s such a sweet treat – the simplest of pleasures! – every day. It’s therapeutic, an instant mood booster. As Lucy would say, let’s get cozy, cozy!, which equates to bundling under blankets, playing her alphabet game and lighting a candle. Girl after my own heart, I tell you.
And as we count down the days to spring (it’s so, so close!), we find ourselves turning to the same candles again and again. Is there such a thing as a Winter Candle? Because if so, I think we’ve got that category cornered, from cedar to juniper, amber and fig. Below, I’m sharing our favorite scents that we’ve been burning all cold-season long (#5 forever and ever!), as well as the ones that were love at first scent – but still on our wish list.*
* Yes, every single one of these have passed our personal sniff test.
Our Favorite Winter Candles
1. Brooklyn Candle Studio Santal Cedar, $35 | Santal, cedar, pine, vetiver, and sandalwood
2. Capri Blue Volcano, $18+ | Tropical fruits, sugared oranges, lemons and limes, and mountain greens
3. Paddywax Amber & Smoke, $35 | Balsam and amber, cinnamon, patchouli and clove, vanilla, sandalwood and smoke
4. Calm Mood, $28 | Lavender and chamomile
5. Sydney Hale Co. Eucalyptus + Sage, $36 | Eucalyptus, warm honey, herbaceous sage, patchouli, and teak
6. Sydney Hale Co. Bergamot + Black Tea, $36 | Salty citrus of winter, blooming bergamot orange blend, and dried black tea leaves
7. Hearth & Hand Balsam Fir, $14 | Woodsy balsam fir
8. P.F. Candle Co. No. 21 Golden Coast, $14.50+ | Salty sea air, redwood, eucalyptus, and heart of white lavender
9. Hearth & Hand Cedar & Magnolia, $15 (currently burning!)| woodsy florals
10. Le Labo Santal 26, $75 | Amber, coco, vanilla, cedar, spices, musk, and sandalwood
11. Good Medicine Fir, $32 | Siberian Fir is a fresh, green, nostalgic scent reminiscent of an evergreen forest
12. Terra by P.F. Candle Co. Juniper, $28 | Juniper berries, pine, fir needle, and cedarwood
13. Paddwax Evergreen & Embers, $35 | Eucalyptus, spearmint, pine needles, suede, silver spruce, white leather, patchouli, cedar, fir embers, and spiced balsam
14. P.F. Candle Co. No. 04 Teakwood & Tobacco, $14.50+ | Base of teak and sandalwood, leather, pepper, and tobacco
What are your favorite candles to get you through winter? Which brands do you love that we should know about?
PS! Here’s an easy-to-DIY leather candle cozy to hide less-than-pretty labels.
We are always burning candles too, and I am also currently burning H&H Cedar Magnolia! I especially love the woodsy, heavy scents of fall and winter. I actually started making my own candles because we go through so many!
I couldn’t believe how much I lived Cedar Magnolia. A new favorite of ours for sure! (We bought 3 big ones but we’re down to the last one!)
It’s so good! I have dubbed it our home’s signature scent. I bought like 4 and am running low too! Way to go H&H :)
Trapp’s Bob’s Flower Shoppe is my favorite candle by far. It literally smells like a flower shop but not too sweet.
I adore the Pinon from P.F. Candle Co. The unisex perfume of that fragrance is even better!
My all time fave winter candle is Hickory Hearth from Target. Cheap, perfect warm scent that evokes winter and a crackling log fire. I go through at least one big Hickory Hearth candle a season, even when I try to swap it with other things for variety.
I love this one so much I burn it all year round, but my hands down favorite is Tatine Holy Basil. Originally bought at Sojourn in Sawyer, but since they change out scents I’ve had to find it online since to get my fix. Mmmmmmm!
I’m a big Sydney Hale fan. Their Eucalyptus + Sage is my signature home scent. But can we talk about how much I want to be CC at the moment?
Our couch potato. ????
These all look amazing! I’m going to have to add some to our collection!
I stumbled upon Sydney Hale candles in December at a little boutique and my coworker gifted me my favorite one: Woodsmoke & Amber. I’ve been burning it on ration because it’s sooooo good and I want it to last forever! I wish they made them in a bigger size!
Agreed! Eucalyptus + Sage is our home’s signature scent, and I would buy it in a gallon bucket if I could! 10 wick please, haha.
It’s local to me, but JKM candles has a Mandarin & Bourbon candle that I can never get enough of. https://www.jkmsoycandles.com/product-page/ampersand-collection-choose-your-own-scent-autumn-scents
I never burned candles before I lived in an apartment. I started burning them because the cooking smells lingered and drove me crazy. I really like the Sydney Hale candles and their room sprays, too!
Can’t believe I’m asking this, but where is the little doofy dinosaur from? So cute!
It’s a Jellycat dinosaur! Got it on Amazon and Lucy adores him.
Someone, possibly Sherry of YoungHouseLove, posted a bunch of Capri Blue Volcano dupes on Instagram Stories and I ended up buying a Sparkling Yuzu candle from Target’s Opalhouse line that smells amazingly similar to it at a fraction of the price. I love it and have been burning it constantly.
It’s hard to go wrong with P.F. Candle Co. I have several of their candles and love them and their little brown jars!
They look pretty anywhere!
Forget the candles, I love the coffee table, it’s so sleek and fine-lined, I’m in love. Also, the dog sleeping on the couch is exactly me on the weekends. I found a similar-looking table, is this the one?
Hi David, thanks! The table you linked looks similar, but the entire top of our table turns, whereas the one you mentioned has a drawer. Both awesome options! This is our exact table.
Turning Tables, reminds me of the song by Adele. The table in the dark finish looks amazing as well, ill decide which one will be best suited for me as I don’t have much space to rotate and open the table.
I have bought quite a few different scents from Brooklyn Candle Studio, Sweet Fig, Fern & Moss and Montana Forest are some of my favorites. They’re reasonably priced ($24). They have these little discovery sets too that you can buy that let you test out a few of their fragrances.
I had some nice Sydney Hale candles a few years ago, but they must have changed their formulations, because their new batches don’t smell like much at all! Buyer beware
Really? We picked up a few a month or so ago, and they’re all as lovely as always. They’re a great company – maybe try reaching out to them?