We’re so excited to finally be kicking off a (sometimes) Friday series that we’re calling The Weekender! It’s been at the top of our list for far too long; we wanted a place to talk about anything. Everything. Nothing at all. (Okay, but really, maybe we can talk about the twinklings of a DIY idea, current favorites and things that made us smile?) Between emails, DMs and comments, we find ourselves enjoying conversations with you that might not be related to renovation, and we thought it would be fun to have a low-key place to chat with all of you, right here, on the blog! Let’s get informal, friends.
Ice Cream, please.
Chicago locals, have you been to Pretty Cool yet? One day last year, I went to pick up mail from our PO Box, only to find out that the building was under renovation. Although I was annoyed at the time (um, I didn’t even get a letter, because where would they have sent it? Ha!), we were over the moon when the super cute Pretty Cool popped up in its place a few weeks ago! It’s an ice cream bar – like, literally, bars – and chances are that if you’ve been, you’ve seen us there, too. Logan Square was lacking ice cream in a bad way, and all our dreams have now been fulfilled. In true Logan Square fashion, the interior is so clever and sweet. Welcome to the neighborhood, PC! (Get the Natalie Bar. Also? Dinosaurs.)
Bits + Pieces
- Everyone’s favorite Trading Spaces designer, Genevieve, is the lead in the new Netflix series, Stay Here. Have you watched it? The episodes are 30 minutes long, and each one follows the story of a homeowner who wants to turn their place into a short-term rental. We love it for the ideas we can implement down the road for Tree House, even if some of the designs are, we think, a bit much? Even still, it’s worth a watch just for the Palm Springs episode alone. That bedroom. Here’s the trailer:
- After having Lucy, I’ve been bouncing around to find a great skin care routine. (Currently, I’ve hopped on the ACV bandwagon with decent results!) And after watching an embarrassing amount of videos, I broke down and finally treated myself to this Clarisonic. For those of you that swear by them, do you have any tips or favorite cleansers?
- Not long ago, we had a family photo session to celebrate Lucy turning 6 months old, and last week, we made some huge prints and added them to our dining room gallery wall! The newest additions make us smile so. hard. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, but you will never regret investing in a casual photoshoot with a true professional. We wore our everyday jeans and favorite muted V-necks (basically, the same clothes we wear every day), but we dressed Lucy in yellow! If you’re looking for a photographer in the Chicago area, our friend Renee at Gooch Too Photo is a magician.
- And since we’re on the topic of our sweet goose, we’ve been viewing our home through different eyes. I cannot shake the idea of switching things up in the living room, and when I start to get an idea, it consumes me. (Who’s with me?) I’ve been collecting fabric samples for a new sofa, and Interior Define or Article (who is having a big Labor Day sale right now!) are topping our list in terms of size, style and comfort. Basically, we want to lighten things up, layer in new textures (maybe a leather arm chair?), and make it the coziest, cushiest place on the planet. Our newest motto is to scale back, and it’s as if we can’t make our home physically light enough. Is this a new-parent thing? Talk to us.
- #PSL is back. Too soon? (Gimme all the fall!)
- We got a tandem for Tree House! Scott saw that a family friend was selling this guy, and he called dibs immediately. While all I can talk about is sofas, this bicycle is always on the tip of his tongue:
Find Us Elsewhere
We hope you have a happy long weekend, and we’ll see you in September!