I Normally Wouldn’t Do This, But…
… I’m sharing my skincare routine today! On the daily, I’m answering your DMs and sharing my favorite moisturizers and cleansers, and enough of you have requested a walkthrough of my skincare routine that I decided to compile it in one place. I know I personally love learning about others’ routines, so why not?
How I would describe my skin:
I’m 37, and I have a love/hate relationship with the laugh lines around my eyes. There’s a small smattering of discoloration along the sides of my face from my sun worshipping days. My skin leans dry, I’m grateful to rarely get blemishes (thanks, Mom!), and it’s pretty tough – like, I would never be considered to have sensitive skin. In fact, I like to feel my products working. Give me all the tingling!
But before I dive in, it should be said that I love beauty products, and yeah, I do enjoy product hopping from time to time. My best girlfriend and I are constantly texting each other with new items to try (it’s this turmeric mask for her, this peel for me), so my list is constantly growing! Even still, there are tried-and-true items that I purchase again and again, because for me, they just work. Below, I’m sharing what I use and love, and why!
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Makeup Remover: I’ve been using this since high school, and it’s the only thing that can take off my cat eye with little effort.
- Clarisonic Mia: Feeling like my skin could use a pick-me-up, I bought this right after having Lucy, and it’s been bliss ever since! I use mine in the shower, so that I can really scrub-a-dub.
- Belif Aqua Bomb Jelly Cleanser: This one roped me in with a free sample – hook, line and sinker. It smells like fresh squeezed lemons and suds up into the richest lather. It’s the perfect companion to my Clarisonic, and works hard to remove the day’s makeup away.
- Glossier Milk Jelly Cleanser: I’ll always have this in my arsenal! I use this in the morning as a gentle cleanser, and it leaves my skin feeling so smooth.
- Time Revolution Clear Toner: If my skin is feeling extra dry, I’ll skip a face wash in the morning and use a cotton pad with this toner; on the flip side, I’ll use this in the evening after washing my face if I was wearing more makeup than usual!
- The Ordinary Peeling Solution: Game. Changer. This is $7 of pure magic! It’s gloopy and bright red and totally weird, but my skin has never felt more soft and exfoliated. I use it twice a week!
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum: I know this is for day, but I use it before bed. I’ve noticed a brightening of my skin and dark spots, but a fair warning: It smells like hot dogs!
- Drunk Elephant Marula Oil: After the serum, I apply this marula oil. I always wake up to soft skin!
- Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb: Morning and night, I tap this around my eyes, mouth and forehead. I’ve loved everything I’ve used from Belif.
- Virgin Coconut Oil: I use this for everything – an oncoming blemish, dry skin, my hair! It’s my miracle worker for all skin ailments. Lucy has dry cheeks, and every morning she says, ‘coco cheeks, pease.’
- Beautycounter One-Step Wipes: This is my on-the-go travel secret! I essentially leave numbers 1-10 at home and throw this in my bag as a catch all. The best one-step wipes I’ve ever used!
Other Things This Week
Atypical is back! Have you seen it? It’s our favorite heartwarming show to watch at the end of the day.
We’re officially Chicago Bungalow Association members! I didn’t realize that Scott applied, so it was extra sweet to see our welcome letter come in the mail. The coolest part was learning that our Chicago home is officially a Queen Anne (albeit a modest one), after only guessing for years which historical home style we might fall under. Psst: If you’re curious, here’s a fun graphic that shares the many styles of Chicago homes, including the Two Flat!
I decided right now that even though I can’t remember a time when I felt more busy, I just don’t want to say it anymore.– @jennykomenda
If you love Dolly (who doesn’t?), you’ll love this podcast.
Marti’s staircase renovation is done, and it’s proof that dreams really do come true.
How over-the-top adorable is this large (framed!) art print?
Last week, my inbox filled up with requests on our salt + pepper grinders! We’ve had the black/white for years, and we love them so much, we picked up the blush/nude for Tree House. They make for a great housewarming gift, or better yet, a beautiful holiday gift for the one who’s Always the Hostess!
- CB2: Up to 40% off holiday decor
- Crate & Barrel: 15% off new furniture and rugs
- J. Crew: 25% off (almost) everything with code PARTY
- J. Crew Factory: Up to 60% off sitewide
- Mark & Graham: Up to 70% off with code GETGIFTING
- Pottery Barn: Buy more, save more event with code SAVEMORE
- Rejuvenation: 20% off in-stock items
- Serena & Lily: Up to 25% off pillows and throws
- Unison Home: Free shipping on orders over $100 with promo GIVEMODERN
- West Elm: Up to 40% off furniture and rugs
- Williams Sonoma: Free shipping over $49 with code SHIP4FREE
Stay warm this weekend! We’ll be at Tree House to finalize a few bathroom measurements, and we’re having brunch with friends on Sunday. What are you up to?