This was an exciting week for tile, because a big shipment of samples arrived for our Two Flat! We’ll be working with The Tile Shop on every decision for every tiled space – from the bathroom floors to the walls, laundry rooms and kitchens! – and we gathered samples in marble, limestone and porcelain. Patterned tile. Subway tile. Faux-stone tile. Tile sheets and skirting and pencil! It was like Christmas morning.
I recently came across this bathroom, above, from Sophia Bush’s recent home renovation. My first thought was, whoa, that’s a lot of terracotta. My second thought was, whoa, I absolutely love it. I’ve always loved terracotta, but I use it minimally – typically in planter form, haha – because I liken it to a neutral. But in Sophia’s home? That is a statement in the best possible way. Her whole home is the perfect mix of quirk and classic, and I’m taking notes over here.
Okay, but my third thought was, that tile looks like candy. Meant as a compliment, of course! I showed Scott, and I learned that it was this blush gloss ceramic mosaic from The Tile Shop! So, yeah, I scooped up a sample of that, too, and I’m thinking it could be a really fun touch to the den bathroom, as a nod to our vintage pink bathroom. (By the way, did you know The Tile Shop offers online shopping?)
What do you think of pink? Is it a yay or nay in your book?
Other Things This Week:
We’ve been consuming our fair share of Disney+, but my favorite find from the week was The Blue Umbrella, in which two umbrellas fall eternally in love. Naturally.
Missing an ingredient for your famous weeknight dinner dish? Here’s a whole list of substitutes when you’re in a pinch.
We treated Tree House to a custom stamp! Our Airbnb guests will receive a welcome card with some goodies, and the back of each card will be stamped with an illustration of our home. The stamps are typically used for return addressing, but you can find out more here! Diane and her team are the best.
Note: We hope to have Tree House available for booking again soon!
My girl Jane whipped up a batch of (the cutest!) face masks, but they sold out overnight! Now I’m watching her Etsy shop like a hawk. For every mask you purchase, Jane donates one to the most vulnerable.
Ashley’s downloadable coloring page is a challenge I can’t wait to try! Sharpen your pencils, it’s a good one.
How pretty are these outdoor chairs? I keep going back to them, and I can’t help but wonder how they’d look on our patio.
Hear ye, hear ye! Our beloved tenants have decided to move to be closer to family, meaning that our garden apartment (above) is available for a yearly lease starting June 1st. If living in the same house as CC sounds like your idea of a great time, send us an email, and we’ll share more details. Serious inquiries only, please.
My Makeup + Skincare Favorites
Sephora’s Spring Sale allows insiders to save up to 20% off their entire order (this doesn’t happen often!) when you use promo code SPRINGSAVE. My messages fill up quickly with questions about what I’m using for lashes, cheeks and more, so I’m rounding up my ride-or-die favorites below!
- Mia Clarisonic | I’ve been using my Clarisonic for the last handful of years, and the difference it has made in how clean my skin is after a face wash is eye opening!
- Belif Aqua Bomb jelly cleanser | Our go-to face wash. Gentle, super foamy and has a soft citrus scent. Scott loves it, too!
- Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb | I use this around my eyes, sure, but also on my forehead and around my mouth – any place that can use extra love. It has a lightweight whipped texture and absorbs fully.
- The Ordinary Peeling Solution | I will never, ever use a traditional face scrub ever again after using this! I finished my first bottle and have another on the way. It’s so weird and cool and cheap!
- Supergoop CC cream | Light coverage with SPF 35, perfect for everyday use.
- It Superhero mascara | Don’t you hate it when a good drugstore brand changes its formula? After that happened to me, I went on a quest for the best mascara, and this is it. (Psst! To all my Asian girls, trust.)
- NARS Orgasm liquid blush | I switched to the liquid version last year (after realizing that powders were showing my age!), and I’ve never looked back.
- Makeup Forever Full Cover concealer | I did a silly thing, and I strayed from this concealer to save some money, and it shows. The MUFE concealer is the only thing that hides my genetic under eye circles (and everything else, honestly).
- Beautyblender Pro | I didn’t understand the hype until I picked one up myself. Although I don’t use it every day, it’s a great tool for blending foundation, concealer and blush.
- Anastasia Brow Wiz | I love it for the wide color selection (I’m Dark Brown), but the spiral brush is pure magic!
- Anthropologie: 30% off all clothing!
- CB2: Up to 30% off upholstered furniture
- Crate & Barrel: Up to 40% off outdoor furniture
- Everlane: Choose what you pay, seriously!
- GAP: Extra 50% off markdowns with promo PERK
- J. Crew: 30% off select styles with code 5DAYS
- J. Crew Factory: Up to 70% off everything!
- Loft: 50% off your purchase
- Madewell: Extra 50% off select sale with code BIGTIME
- Pottery Barn: up to 25% off everything and free shipping with code EARTHDAY
- Rejuvenation: 20% off all lighting and fans
- Rugs USA: Tax Day sale, up to 60% off
- Sephora: Up to 20% off Spring Sale
- Target: Up to 20% off furniture
- Unison Home: Free shipping with code SUMMER20
- Wayfair: Up to 70% off home updates for less
- West Elm: Spring Upgrade sale, 20% off everything!
- Williams Sonoma: Limited time offers vary
- World Market: 40% off outdoor
Happy Friday and have the most wonderful weekend, friends! Our plans include absolutely nothing, and we’re going to soak up every minute of it. xx
Yesssss to The Ordinary peeling solution! I LOVE it. I loved it so much I ordered more of their stuff – the hyaluronic acid is great, so is the glycolic acid too. Great prices + great products! I’m in need of a face cleanser, so I think I’ll try out that Belif jelly bomb stuff – thanks!And a super yes to pink bathrooms! Vintage bathrooms have SO MUCH PERSONALITY. They’re so charming!
I’ve been using their glycolic acid as a toner – totally forgot to add it to the list!
YES to pink!!! My sweet husband pretty much lets me have complete decorating/design authority in the house (this is probably also by default due to the fact that he doesn’t do any of it, I do it all – which I prefer!), and I have splashes of pink throughout our home, except in the mancave of course. Our front living room is especially feminine with pink and green, and I love it: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-TD2S0DztY/
Anyways, we’ve done lots of renovating, with more to go. My sister started renovating at her house winter of 2019, and I went to the stone yard with her…..and snagged a gorgeous stone slab with swirls of light pink and gray. It’ll eventually land in my girls’ bathroom (right now they’re 8 and 7) when we renovate, and it will be the kick-off design element. Now, if I change my mind, I can use it in the adjacent laundry room. Either way, a baseline of pink – glorious pink – in either room will be fabulous.
Happy Friday, and thanks for continuing to share interesting content during these difficult times. I appreciate your posts!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Karen, and what a gorgeous room! I love all the plants. ????????
Kim, will the MUFE concealer work for my genetic under eye circles or should I just keep wearing sunglasses?????????????
I think it would actually work! ????
Great stuff! The face mask link directed me to pet beds, though .. ?
She normally sells pet beds, but is putting that on hold to sell masks! Keep an eye on her shop, because she’ll be restocking soon!
I vote yay for pink!!!!! Honestly I love the idea of tiling those little candy pink tiles OR a horizontal stack of the subway pink tiles around the pink tub. You could use a different tile for the floor and around the vanity so it’s not overwhelming. I just think it would be soooooo the perfect blend of vintage/modern. (I know this isn’t what you’re planning but I keep drooling over it in my head.) Whatever you do will be gorgeous!!!! Xo
If this were our home, I miiiight be pushing Scott to do that! (Okay I totally would.) But I think we need to be careful for Airbnb or yearly leasers, haha.
What is the first image of the kitchen from? I love those cabinets
It’s also from Sophia’s house tour! Linked in the intro paragraph!
I had a Clarisonic for a couple years and loved how my face felt, but had massive guilt about the disposable heads. When it died and I contacted them about proper disposal (there’s a rechargeable battery sealed inside) they basically said it was my issue to figure out and they couldn’t help. Such a bad experience! I replaced it with a wooden handle face brush that is fully compostable when it wears down and I’ve been impressed that it does just as good of a job.