Are we all out of the holiday fog yet?
We’re getting there, although Scott has always been much better about getting back into the swing of things than I am. Maybe it’s because I read too many blogs with lists and resolutions, and maybe it’s because I feel that we should have those, too? In any case, we have nary a resolution (although every year, we do promise to say and do things with love, which works out! Mostly!), and we spent almost our entire holiday break eating and drinking, eating more and drinking more. We binge watched television, the days went by in a blur, and I’m not totally sold on entering January – yet. Perhaps jumping back into routine will help?
But! I say almost because we did check off our holiday homework – the pocket door! Our kitchen contractor suggested that we should have our pocket door ready to go with hardware before they begin, at which point, they’ll swoop in, add the brackets, and most importantly, hide it in our walls:
Our old door was picked up from Rebuilding Exchange, and we moved forward with our refinishing under the assumption that somewhere, sometime along the way, there would likely be lead paint in the existing finish. Not wanting to go through the process of stripping again, we decided that we were totally okay with a slightly weathered finish (charm?), and so we chose to go the encasement route – simply meaning that the current finish would get coated in clean latex paint.
We did, however, (want and) need to caulk the door panels (on the left, below), close up the holes from the doorknob, and lightly spackle any deep cuts. The previous knob was remedied with a paint stick on the edge, and repair putty + scrap wood filled the gaping hole. I went over only the touched-up areas with our orbital sander, but I do pinky-promise that I did so while outside, wearing a full suit, respirator and glasses. And, most importantly, you bet that the sander was attached to a HEPA filter on our shop vac.
The door was brought back inside to get primed and painted, and having had such great results on our closet and front doors using Sherwin William’s Peel Bonding Primer (neither door has a chip or scratch!), I used the same here. For the color, we chose a very, very soft minty green: Swept Away by Benjamin Moore in a soft gloss finish.
We wanted something that felt classic and clean for the hardware, and after going back and forth, we ultimately decided on these New Yorker pulls in oil-rubbed bronze. Scott used a Dremel bit and chisel to prep for install, and we are in love with the results!
You may have noticed in the first side-by-side photo that we also swapped the clear glass for this textured, frosted panel. We had originally thought that we would use frosted film on the existing glass, but wanting something more permanent, we had Ace Hardware replace the glass completely! It was a $50 fix, and we definitely made the right choice by going this route instead. We’ve tossed around the idea of adding painted gold letters that lead you into our first floor Work Room (saying, get this, Work Room), and with the kitchen-facing-side being smooth, we’ll have the option to do so! Note: We had the glass replaced before we painted the door, and we taped it off to do the finish work.
Okay, to be fair, I suppose we did a little more than just prep our pocket door over the holidays. We also emptied our cabinets and stashed everything away in boxes so that our contractors can do their job more efficiently. They start – fingers crossed! – this coming Monday, and our cabinet maker has already taken down our uppers and has begun the refacing and building!
We’re on the hunt for an island, we’re still waffling over counters, and we’ve been debating wall colors for the kitchen and living rooms, which’ll be the same once we’re done. My goodness, we cannot wait to see everything fall in place.
Alright, 2015! Let’s go, let’s go!