It’s tough to say what has made the biggest difference in the garden’s bathroom progress. The fresh white paint? The scrubbing and re-grouting of the subway tile? The plumbing swap and rearrangement of the toilet and vanity? The door’s new out-swing? Yes, yes, yes and yes, to all of the above. Each upgrade has been playing an important role to create a bathroom that’s as sweet as it is functional, but the one we’re going to focus on today is getting our bathtub refinished!
Originally, we thought we might replace it. It’s not cast iron, no; we’d say it was more of a 90s special that we’re betting was on clearance, and an unnecessary design detail on the outside made it feel even more dated. That said, we asked our contractor, how big of a deal would it be to replace the tub with something… nicer? After he explained that we’d need to rip out the bottom few layers of subway tile, replace drywall and, likely, rough in new(er) plumbing (and then replace/repair the missing tile), we gave our whole replacing-the-bathtub-thing pause. A bit of internet sleuthing only confirmed our contractor’s thoughts, and suddenly a $300 bathtub replacement was looking closer to $1k.
So! Reglazing the tub won out! And now that it’s done, we can honestly say that we’re super satisfied with the outcome. We called a handful of companies, but the high reviews for Joe at Correa Custom Coatings won us over. (Not to mention, he was only one of two guys to call us back after leaving messages with at least six different people!) He was friendly, on time, and the entire process took three hours and cost us $240.
As you can see, the tub was embedded with stubborn stains, chips in the coating and a whole lot of rust (likely due to those ventilation issues we had to correct!):
Joe and his brother arrived around 9AM, and they were done by noon the same day. I asked him if I could be a fly on the wall to watch the process (we’ve always been so curious about how this works!), and he happily agreed with one caveat – due to the chemicals used in the process, he would call me down to take photos of each step, rather than hanging out in the garden unit with them. Something to note: I’ve found that a lot of contractors are actually excited to meet homeowners who are interested in their work. They love giving advice and sharing their step-by-step, and more often than not, they request my photos to add to their portfolio! Win-win.
The first step was using a potent etching liquid. He simply poured it into the tub, and he used a rag to swish it all around, inside and out:
After the etching liquid was cleaned up, the tub instantly looked better! Almost brand new. I’m not going out on a limb to say that, at this point, it was already the best it’s ever looked:
Next, an epoxy was used to fill any of the chipped paint, and then the subway tile and floor was masked off and covered. He used an intense spray primer to get it ready for the finish coat!
Throughout their process, they ran a duct from the bathroom and out through one of the living room windows. The duct was connected to a powerful fan, and it helped to blow the fumes outside, rather than allowing it to get trapped in the apartment. The smell was intense! If you’re sensitive to spray paint or strong aerosol cleaners, this was that, ten-fold. I’d recommend planning on leaving the home if that doesn’t sound like your idea of a good time.
The last step was spraying the final coat, which was glaringly whiter than the so-called ‘white’ we started with! Joe and his brother left all the masking and paper in place, and he asked us to wait a full 24 hours before disturbing the bathtub. The next day, Scott removed the protective paper, and we were left with a pretty, pristine tub!
We allowed it to sit for the next few days – we were deathly afraid we would ruin it! – but the finish was smooth and hard as a rock. I took 30 minutes and used a tough silicone caulk to go around the tub, up the corners of the tile, where the tile meets the ceiling, and down the sides of the tub where it meets the wall. Lastly, I taped off a straight line along the floor tile and caulked that, too, pulling up the tape after smoothing the bead of caulk:
Finally, we replaced all the fixtures using a combination of new and replacement parts. I mentioned here that we had a hell of a time finding parts that would fit the existing plumbing, but we did our best eliminating every last bit of the yellow brass. The tub drain was especially tricky, and we were worried that pulling the rusty thing out would have the potential to cause a burst pipe. Our options were to either a call a plumber to remove it professionally (in the off chance something did happen), but when I explained our worries to Joe, he recommended one of these handy guys! Essentially, it sits right on top of the existing drain, a solution for old house dwellers like ourselves!
Joe provided us with a 5-year warranty, and I’m betting that if we hadn’t volunteered it ourselves (to save a wee bit of cash), he would have come back to handle the caulking.
You guys, the bathroom is looking pretty cute right now. We still have a few more things we’d like to share before the final reveal, but we are over the moon with the shape of things. It cannot be the same room. It’s adorable! The sweetest little bathroom!